Sunday, August 27, 2006

Our Very Favorite Temple Square Missionary

We went to Temple Square and surprised Aunt Rachel when we were in Utah. Trust us, she had no idea. I even told a great big lie so she would be surprised. That's okay, right? Anyway, we truly had a blast seeing Rachel. She is such a wonderful missionary, a great companion, a powerful teacher, a lovely person and a great dresser. (Seriously, she looks sharp!)

Here she is after a bit of the shock wore off with her companion, Sister Park.



She took us on an official tour of Temple Square. She did such a great job, even though she claims she didn't. But, if she had a rough time I think I know why.



She had to teach Mom, Jana and myself who were busy with three kidlets who had been piled into Mom's car for an hour ride...



...and then put into varying degrees of "baby skrollas" to be driven around SLC.



Needless to say, we spent a lot of our time doing this while she shared her Gospel message.



But look at how beautiful and sincere she looks while she teaches. She invites the Spirit too!



She also points with two fingers. Which, according to Aunt Natalie, is the ONLY way Temple Square sisters point.



Rachel and I got to chat about lots of secret stuff. Sorry, I can't tell you about what.



She did a beautiful job particularly at this point of the tour. She really is a powerful misisonary.



More of the walking and the chasing and the oy! Jacob really enjoyed the Christus room, although he did try to sneak under the velvet rope a couple of times.



Jacob looks a bit rough, but he was having fun on some level.



Sister Supermodel!!!



Here's our whole group (minus Sister Park who took the picture) at the end of our tour.



Afterwards we enjoyed a lovely packed lunch. Doesn't it look like I should be lending Jana a hand? Some kind of sister I am!



Maddie loved the flowers.



Jacob learned a new dance move called "the fall", almost as famous as Daddy/Unkie Garrett's dance called "the bootie bounce".



And Jana and Gideon looked picturesque.



Lastly we stopped by the reflecting pools to look at the beautiful Salt Lake Temple.



For a moment, anyway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! Rachel does look great! That would be a great surprise. My mom told me that birthday and "fun stuff" lies are always okay. My mom said it, so I know it's true. Put your conscience at ease.

I love the progression of the pictures and your story-telling. I loved the three strollers suddenly appearing at the scene. Gideon's expression is especially priceless. The calm, then suddenly chaotic progressions (reflecting pools, for example) are hysterical.

This is such a great medium for you, Robyn! You are the first great master of the blog, in my humble opinion.

I'll bet Rachel would have dealt with a thousand strollers just to see that darling dancing boy!

Love you!!

Shayleen Lunt said...

What fun - that must have been a wonderful surprise! You all look great! It is so fun for me to see Jacob in sneakers! He is becoming quite the little man. I wish we could see more of his walking as he continues to master it! ps I know you are a great sister:)

Anonymous said...

c-o-o-r-d-i-n-a-t-i-o-n!!...That's the word that comes to mind when I look at these pictures. :] Just getting them ready and taking three small children, not to mention all the behind the scene antics Robyn had to go thru to make the surprise a success. Mission accomplished!! What a doll Rachel is. Of course we all knew that. She truly is the embodiment of a polished yet humble missionary. I'm sure she has touched the lives of many without even realizing it. We were so impressed and felt very blessed to go on her tour. It was a real treat for us, and the children survived, which was even more miraculous! Of course we had many reinforcements in the form of PB sandwiches, sippy cups galore, and other various and sundry snacks. I do hope the birds and the little mice that Rachel told us inhabit Temple Square had a good time with a few of the leavings.
Well it truly was fun to see Rachel obviously doing the right things....it showed in her face...she just glowed and looked like a wonderful representative of the Church.

Love, Mom

Andrea said...

What I want to know is did you guys convert?