Sunday, December 02, 2007

Watching Christmas

Growing up our family had Christmas traditions just like anyone else...but one of my favorites was our yearly watching of Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas.



It's, well, wonderful. It tells the story of Emmet and his mother, "Ma", as they try to buy each other nice Christmas gifts. It's very "Gift of the Maggi" -- Muppet style! (Sounds great, huh?) It's also a little bit country, which is oddly appealing. Anyway, I love it and Jacob does too! It's now his movie of choice. He simply calls it "Christmas" and I couldn't be happier.

If you'd like to experience some of the joys of Emmet Otter please go here. This is actually one of the lullabies I sing to the boys. Added bonus, this weird little montage of scenes from the movie has the "John Denver & the Muppets" (a great Christmas album) version of the song. Like I say, just the right amount of country.

6 comments:

Jana said...

That was FUN!!! I also watched the bloopers! YEEHA! That was good times! Thanks!

Andrea said...

I have never even heard of such a movie. I will have to check it out! Sounds like a fun tradition!

Anonymous said...

Aw Robyn...ya brought a tear or two to this "Ma's" eyes. Truly, that little lullaby that Emmett and Ma sing is very touching. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Robyn, I hope to live long enough to hear you say, "Where did the years go." I can't believe the little girls who loved Emmett so much are now sharing him with their children! Where have the years gone? Enjoy those little guys.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of it either! I love family Christmas traditions though. I'll have to find a copy of this movie. I was just watching the Charlie Brown Christmas show last night and thinking how much I love and remember it.

This movie looks really cute and yeah for a little bit of country!!! :] So great. I think its really amazing and cool too how a western girl grew up loving this southern movie (that's what it sort of appears to me to be but I could be totally wrong) and then ended up marrying somebody from the South and living there too! What a cool and sweet connection :] It was meant to be of course!

Enjoy all of these wonderful Christmas memories!

Love, Chelsea

Anonymous said...

hey! i'm kinda of dense sometimes and didn't realize your had left me a chat! oh man :] sorry! that was so sweet and so good to hear from you! we want to come back to GA so badly and visit all of you! hopefully someday soon! hang in there, you are doing a fabulous job as a mom and hopefully things will get easier! you can do it girl! enjoy and keep enjoying the holidays! love, chelsea