Sunday, December 21, 2008

Oh thank you, thank you

Grandma Jan, Natalie & Jackson came for a whirlwind, wonderful visit this week. I am so grateful that they could come. It made my solitary week (while Matt was visiting firms along the eastern seaboard) not only bearable, but truly delightful.

They brought their lovely selves to my home, but they also brought back my enthusiasm for where we live and what we're doing. It's been all too easy to get mired in the inconveniences that abound here. My guests continually acknowledged that while this life is challenging it's also unique and exciting and "so big city"!

They also helped me realize how well I've gotten to know the place. We ventured into town (under the tutelage of my more city savvy friend Luann) one night without the kids and I was amazed to see that (with Luann's sage advice) I really did know where I was going! It was empowering.

That night we shivered our way down the Magnificent Mile to see the river. Exploring together. We thought we looked like this, but we really looked like this.














(By the way, Lorelai would freeze to death if she were really out in the winter dressed like that. You call that bundling up? Please!)

When we got to the river we were stunned (and oddly disgusted) to see that it was full of sheets of ice. Don't...fall...in.














Crazy Chicago.

Just running errands around Hyde Park left Natalie in raptures about city life. The architecture, the produce market, even the somewhat dirty snow! I guess I'm just going to have to believe the Tribune's assessment of my neighborhood:

"When you're bored with the usual...head to Hyde Park, Chicago's multicultural melting pot of cool."

That's us!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. It was so very very wonderful! So glad I took my 1000 pictures to help my old mind remember! The snow! After 14 years it was so great to have a snowball fight with Jacob and make angels in the snow. I was craving the leftover Chicago style pizza after church. Love to all. Grandma Jan

Shayleen Lunt said...

Robyn - I'm so glad you had such a good time and was able to have family visit! I hope you have a great Christmas!!!

nbarnes2 said...

so fun. i was super disappointed after looking at the lorelai picture to see the drastic difference. staying warm just isn't as cute as they make it look on tv

Andrea said...

It looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cold in Chicago! I guess Frosty will be alive for quite awhile in your part of town!

Hilda said...

Looks and sounds like you all had SO much fun together! A big thank you from me to Jan and Natalie for making the effort to come out to Chicago while Matt was gone. What troopers! How did Nico get so grubby? :)

Love, Mom

Robyn said...

Us city kids get dirty with black beans.

Hilda said...

Robyn....You've got the Margaret head tilt - I think it really does come through the genes. ;)