Monday, March 29, 2010

March Madness

All day. Every day. In my living room.































I'm so happy that he's loving playing basketball so much. Hearing the ball slam into the goal over and over again and flinching as the ball flies over my head are not things I'm loving, but he's getting exercise and enjoying himself thoroughly.

We have watched a lot of the NCAA tournament over the last few weeks. A few interesting things have come out of this.

1. He is obsessed with who everyone in the room is "pulling for". He usually picks the team that's winning at the moment we turn it on as his team. He sticks with them to the end, and hell hath no fury like Jacob when "his team" loses.

2. He's also familiarizing himself with different teams that progress in the tournament. Yesterday we turned on a game and before any announcer said the names he asked, "Mom, who are you pulling for, Butler or Kansas?"

3. Watching college basketball has also informed his own bball playing. He typically plays against his "brothers". He is either BYU or Alabama and his "brothers" are usually Florida. He really wants to know who I pull for in these matches. Incidentally, his brothers never win!

4. He is learning terminology like fouls and rebounds. He is always so proud of himself for getting the rebound after he misses a shot, but when he's playing by himself I can't help but wonder why he's so proud.

5. He is still learning how to dribble, so he just holds the ball as he puts his moves on his imaginary opponents.

6. My favorite basketball phrase: "Nothin' but air!"

I think I am pretty close to developing a nervous tick from all of this basketball. Again, ALL DAY LONG. I am just hoping he'll get really good and pay for his own dang college education.

7 comments:

Jana said...

That boy is so DARLING!!! You need to post a video of him! I think it must be a genetic thing, Matt passed on the sports fan genes! :)

Hilda said...

Wow...he's a basketball whiz kid! Hope the windows stay intact! :)

Aunt LuAnn said...

Well, is he weren't having such a great time and learning so much--college names and rankings count as literacy and numeracy skills, doggone it, I'd "break" the TV for another week.

Oh but, you just couldn't.
Think of how well developed your tick will be in say, fifteen years, and he can go on his mission.

But maybe THREE boys. (Barbies are really fabulously quiet toys.)

Jacob really is the mac daddy (sp?) of the family.

Mardee Rae said...

hahah, mac daddy... :)
This is hilarious, R. So, so funny. And yes, I finally shortened your name. I've been trying to come up with a way for almost 20 months.
And back to Jacob. So funny. And it looks like Nico may color his way to college, himself! Looking at the one of his face, maybe he could get a scholarship for dramatic makeup application. (whatever the real term for that is.)

Grandma Jan said...

So funny! That boy can read! I can just see him faking out his opponent in your den. Can't wait to get him here and take him to a pee wee game that G umps. Baseball is next!

Grandma Jan said...

So funny! That boy can read! I can just see him faking out his opponent in your den. Can't wait to get him here and take him to a pee wee game that G umps. Baseball is next!

Andrea said...

That is so funny! Next year you should let him do the predictions and maybe you could get some cash. JK