Monday, April 26, 2010

A Day in the Life of Jacob

If you've ever wondered what Jacob's preschool is like...behold! The preschool program's funding has been in jeopardy and so one of the parents made this sweet video about preschool.

I love this video because I love his teachers, the community of students and parents, and I love, love, love Jacob's face at the beginning of the video. So awesome.

Preschool for all_Murray from Charissa King-O'Brien on Vimeo.

Jacob was fortunate enough to be accepted into this state funded program this past year. He's truly loved it. Unfortunately, because the Chicago Public Schools are so awesome, he did not get into kindergarten at this school or at the other school we had our sights set on. (Darn lottery.) The poor kid will be doing a virtual charter school at home next year. The school we're zoned for is simply unacceptable and so here we are.

Now I get to add homeschooling to my list of hardships! Right behind the new baby and, as always, the dishes, laundry, weather, etc. Oh, but don't cry for me or him...OK, do. It will be a unique year, but hopefully a great one. We're just grateful he had the chance to have such a wonderful preschool experience.

Oh, and since I just gave Ms. Graham and Ms. Angie the blog address, thank you both for all that you do! Let's hope a year with me doesn't undo all of your hard work! We love you!

8 comments:

Hilda said...

Don't you just love those hard working sweet teachers of pre schoolers! This almost brought a tear. Jacob's first foray into the real world.

Stephanie said...

Oh Robyn - We are in the same boat. There isn't an acceptable teacher at Elsa's school for 1st grade so if she doesn't get into another school through the lottery (we find out in a few weeks) then she will be at home also. And Finley didn't get into the pre-k program either. I may have them all at home. I have a lot of anxiety about it.

Are you guys there another year? Hasn't it already been almost two years? What are you guys doing?

Jana said...

That was a precious video! Jacob was so cute talking about light bulbs and magnets! I hope they get their funding! You can do it next year! We are all rooting for you!

nbarnes2 said...

oh robyn. my heart broke a little when you said that. homeschooling intimidates me. you'll do fine. he's already so advanced b/c of what you do anyway. you're so amazing.

lisa moore said...

You are one AMAZING Mom Robyn! Wow, what a school system. I'm glad I never had to worry about what school my kids went to. I just had to ship them out the back door. :) I'm excited to see you this summer!

Mere said...

My favorite quote from the whole movie: "I have learned about how magnets work, and how light bulbs were invented." That was such an earnest little face and comment. He has really grown up this year. Ouch.

Do you know what's great, Robyn? Jacob is already way ahead of the game, reading and smarts-wise.

Besides, he is so curious and so thoughtful and smart. He will learn a lot of things just because he is so observant and asks questions. You're practically home-schooling him already by reading to him and showing him how fun learning is by taking him to all of those great museums.

So glad you shared this. I loved Jacob's face at the beginning too. My thought as I watched him, "Now, how does that kid know what to do in front of a camera when no one EVER takes pictures of him?" :)

Shayleen Lunt said...

Oh Robyn! Bless you for all you have going on right now. Hopefully it will be short lived and looked back on as a fun (and not just trying) time. Love you! ((hugs))

Grandma Jan said...

Oh my goodness. I am just bawling. Preschool is so important and I am so thankful Jacob was able to attend such a wonderful program. I am glad I was able to visit his classroom and see his Christmas program. He has become quite the little man this year and I am so proud and him and his teachers and his parents. Next year will be a challenge. But Robyn you have shown your shining colors time and again. All will be well. Love to all including teachers and friends at Jacob's preschool!