Thursday, April 29, 2010

Noon times with Nico

One of my favorite parts of this past year has been the time between dropping Jacob off at school and putting Nicholas down for nap. The rush of getting to school on time (and the frustration of Jacob's regular complaints about his "socks hurting" or his insatiable desire to wear basketball shorts in February) is gone. We've given Jacob a zillion hugs and kisses (Jacob and Nico usually share a rather soulful embrace as well) and then three become two. Not that Jacob's a drag or anything, but it's sort of freeing. Nico and I mosey back to the car and then it just feels like we can do anything.

Sometimes we go to the park or to the playroom in our building. Sometimes we run to the grocery store. Or we just come home and play. Or, when I'm feeling tired from the morning, we'll relax with a show. Whatever it is it's just the two of us. These have been such sweet times. I remember when my big sister went to school and it was just my mom and me. It was special. A time to talk with mom, to enjoy being her main focus and to have that darn Jana off my back! Kidding. But, I hope Nicholas has felt that as well. I surely have.

He's a delightful boy. A great conversationalist and so observant. When we come home and play he's quick to tell me long, involved stories and then say, "you see?" with his little hands turning palms upward and his shoulders shrugging. He's the kind of kid you like to have sitting in the cart to talk with about which apple is his favorite. Plus, since he turned two his sentences are shockingly perfect and spoken in the highest of high voices. Matt and I sorta think he's missing vocal chords it's so high.

These pictures are from one of our recent noon times together. He or I said the emotion and then he acted it out for the picture.

Angry













Silly













I can't remember, but I'll label it "cute" after the fact.













Angry again.













Spooky. Huh? Note the scratch on his cheek. I offered to put a band-aid on it and he said he needed to see it in the mirror. He came back and said he didn't want the band-aid because, "it's just jelly".













And happy.













Oh Nico, life is going to change. But it's going to be great. I promise. I love you, man.

8 comments:

Leland said...

no no no WE LOVE YOU MAN!!!!

Grandma Jan said...

I just showed these last two post to Papa H. He enjoyed the video. We both think Jacob is a movie star. For the Nico post he said "He's a cutie". Nico has too sweet a face to ever show anger....well, I might remember one shot (by the measuring chart last July).
Wonderful wonderful boys!!!

nbarnes2 said...

so i think it's the next to last picture that looks just like jacob. it was really the first time i've seen so much jacob in him. i love the age that he and jackson are in. ok. so truth is i was loathing it when i was pregnant and tempers were hot but now that things have calmed a bit i'm totally loving it.

Hilda said...

That is a very sweet time for the second child (just the two of you.) I agree with Grandma Jan -Nico does have such a sweet face that its hard for him to look angry. He sure knows how to pull faces though. Wonder where he learned that from........Matt? :)

Jana said...

Was I really that terrible? I hope not, but I do understand, Gideon and I have GOOD TIMES when Maddie is in school.

Mardee Rae said...

so cute. Yes, Nico is loved by all, and noontimes with him are coveted times, indeed! cute pics. Just saw the preschool video--so cute! Breaks my heart that not only preK but also kindergarten is not equally available to all.

Aunt Lucy said...

Just one comment: Very sweet.

This blog will be a classic as you look back through the years of blogs. You've shared some precious moments with us and eventually Nico will read them too. Just loved it. Thanks for taking the time to write this post--not to mention, sharing the pictures.

Stephanie said...

I know that this was not the point of your post, but I'm so relieved to hear about the socks thing. EVERY day Natalie cries for at least five minutes because all of her pants feel "weird." Sorry, I don't know how to fix weird.