Monday, August 23, 2010

Thank You














Picture this:

You and your spouse have two children and five grandchildren. Your grandchildren are all 8 years old and younger. You and your spouse have both been retired for at least a year and life is good. There's time to work in the yard; go on dates; learn or improve upon your talents and hobbies; serve in the church, your community and your family; and fiercely compete with your spouse on the wii.

Now, imagine there's a knock at the door. You open up and there stands a blonde little 5 year old. He's precocious, sweet, and funny. He's also moody, high-strung, and hyper. As you begin to process all that he brings to the table, he's joined by a blue eyed toddler with a darling smile, a playful personality, and a voice that could break glass. As cute as he is, you perceive a vague sense of danger about this boy. They are a formidable duo.

If you wonder where their mother is, she's next. She's tired, needy and she's got a four week old baby in her arms. This baby bears an uncanny resemblance to his grandpa. He's simply darling, yet even more needy than his mama and brothers. As you look at this careworn girl you see that somewhere deep beneath her crazed young mother exterior she's your daughter.

They tell you that while their father and husband works hard at an internship in Omaha over the summer, they need a place to stay. And the place they're eyeing is your place. And you take them in. For 10 weeks.

The boys and I are leaving Utah. And leaving my parents' home. And we are doing it with hearts full of love and gratitude. Mom and Dad have truly stepped up to the plate this summer. In fact, if grandparents could earn merit badges they would be covered in them. They've cooked, cleaned, played, worked, abided, read, buckled, rocked, talked, diapered, shopped, shared, packed, planned, prepared, hugged, kissed, and loved all summer long. Their world has been rocked with riotous children and they've taken it in stride. Toys underfoot, missing shoes, tantrums, fights, spills...they've experienced the seedy underbelly of our life day in and day out. And that seedy underbelly seems to make an awful lot of noise and mess in their lovely home.

This summer has been wonderful. And also challenging. I have learned even more over the last 10 weeks that there are tradeoffs to all that we do in life. Being here has brought unique blessings and challenges. Matt and I felt that those blessings and challenges would be best for our family and looking back we feel that they have been. We're grateful to Mom and Dad for having us at such a time of transition. To have so much loving help and support has made our transition from 2 kids to 3 so much smoother. And more stable. Instead of uprooting our family for the summer to the unknown of Omaha we were able to come to a place forever familiar and comforting to me and mine. A place where we've been able to spend time with family and enjoy the beauties of Utah.

Spending so much time with my parents has made me appreciate them even more. As I see them grandparent my children it's really been an opportunity for me to remember how lovingly they parented my sister and me. Just being in their home reminds me of their loving care. And a day hasn't gone by without them serving us. It's been a joy to learn from them and spend time with them.














Sigh. I just want to say thank you. Thank you for everything. You've done so much. We love you and we will miss you so much.

7 comments:

hutch said...

i'll add a hearty thanks as well. we really appreciate it.

Mardee Rae said...

Might I add a hearty thanks as well, as well? I breath a sigh of relief as this summer is ALMOST over for you. I'm so grateful that you had a warm and welcoming place to go whilst Mattman worked away in Omaha. I guess it sounds cheesy, but I'm just so thankful!

Guess who might be coming to Chicago for a few days next month? :)

mere said...

*Tears*

I was just telling someone how stupid I used to think Anne Shirley was in "Anne of Avonlea" because she was always bemoaning growing up, which looked like a great time to me. Boys! Love! Kids! Jobs! Housework! Finances! Oh ... Now i see her point.

I loved seeing you four L. Gams back in your native lands because it reminded me of good times. Great times. And while those times will never be the same, things are better now, because we've added two loving husbies and 5 incredible kiddies.

I loved, loved this post. (Sorry, it made me quite sentimental and verbose.)

Aunt LuAnn said...

What a charming couple you have pictured, Robyn. I admit I got teary, too. For despite all the noise, and toys, and little boys battling, this summer has been one to remember with you, Robyn, and the decidedly different little boys you have shared with us for a luxurious amount of time.

Your parents are the heroes you have made them out to be. They have paid the price this summer while reaping the eternal rewards of knowing their little boys better. And what a trio the boys are. I think Ben has changed already. I, for one, loved your visits with Grandma, the hilarity of Nico, and the grand ideas and lists of Jacob. We are missing you already.

Andrea said...

Robyn I too am glad that your parents took you in for the Summer. It made me miss all the times with Jana that were just like what you and I had this Summer. I think both of you need to move to Utah and Meredith too. I am sick of all my friends/cousins living far away.

Hilda said...

Sweet post Robyn. Through the ups and downs of it all, Dad and I are so glad you and the boys were able to land here for a while. Such lovely memories for us all.

LuAnn said...

So sweet. Boy have I not been blogging...this post is ancient. Sorry. Miss you. I have a train pass I think I'll send you. It has 6 or so rides left.