I'm sorry, but who has time for Valentine's Day when it's Black History Month? For real? We live in an area that has a vibrant African American community and, particularly at Jacob's school, February is a big month. It's a lot of fun. The school is having an African American history fair (celebrating the Harlem Renaissance) and Jacob's room is going to be transformed into the Cotton Club for the event. He is even learning the Charleston for it. And you haven't lived until you've seen Jacob try his hand at this move. I can't wait to see him participate with his class.
In conjunction with Black History Month our church choir will be singing "Lift Every Voice and Sing", which is the official African American National Hymn. I love this song. The words are so inspiring. It's a song about trust in God, determination, hope, and victory. It's become very meaningful to me as we have lived here and I wanted to share it. I posted this video specifically because it has the words in the video. Follow along and enjoy!*
*A few disclaimers. 1. This video has a lot of pictures of a lot of people. I know who some of them are. I don't know who all of them are. I don't endorse anyone by posting this video. 2. There is a photograph of a lynching in this video. 3. The end is really cheesy. REALLY CHEESY.
On a brief Valentine's note, here is the card I gave Matt. Ah, love.
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i love the card!! so funny. oh and i'd love to see a video of jacob's moves.
at least your school does something. Ours just says it is black history month and that is it.
Ha ha! That card was great! I agree with Andrea, how awesome that they do so much! Ours doesn't do much either.
Post a Comment