Today we attended church with our Chicago congregation for the last time. Next week we will be in town, but the regular church meetings will not be held so that we can participate in our church's General Conference.
In the middle of the main meeting today the congregation sang a hymn. A fairly well known hymn in our church called I'll go where you want me to go. I have always really liked this song, but it turned on me today and made me cry. The first verse initially made me think of the fact that Arkansas doesn't sound very cool and is no "mountain height" or anything. And I might have laughed at Arkansas.
Then came the clincher: "But if by a still, small voice he calls to paths I do not know, I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine, I'll go where you want me to go."
I'm not trying to say that I have a calling to go to Arkansas, but I have a calling to be a mother, wife, friend and a myriad of other things and dang it, I'll be living in Arkansas while I work to fulfill those callings! And I don't know those paths! And they're right by the Ozarks! I love the imagery of putting my hand in the Lord's and moving forward. My hope and prayer is that I can do that very thing.
When we left Atlanta I was sad because I was leaving people and places and a life that I loved. I mean, we had a dishwasher in our house and a Trader Joe's only two traffic lights away! What could be better? But, I really didn't love Atlanta specifically. I knew Atlanta and was very happy there, but I loved the people (and TJ's). And those people were relatively settled and I knew we would see them again and probably soon. We've actually been back twice since our move and been able to see those old friends.
But, Chicago is different. So many friends we've made here have already moved far away. And many more of them will move in the coming months. There are definitely friends we've made in Hyde Park who are here for the long term, but in reality the majority of our friends will be gone in 3 years.
I also sort of fell for Chicago hard. It's such a beautiful city. The only summer we spent here was magical. Our "golden summer". The boys would pile into the stroller each morning and we'd go to one of the many nearby parks, or the beach, or a museum almost every day. And it makes me sad to leave. There, I said it. (For the hundredth time.) For the record, Chicago is also cold, inconvenient, and hard work and I've whined about it plenty. But now that it's all over I've got nothing but love.
We have put together a schedule for the next week and a half in order to maximize our visits to people and places and so the good-bye is in full swing. It all feels very real. So begins and ends another wordy, emotional moving post.
I'd like to leave you with a video. One you have to watch. You just have to. It's from Muppets take Manhattan when "the gang" has realized that they have to leave the big city and find real jobs because their dreams of hitting it big on Broadway haven't materialized. I find a lot of parallels to my life. For real. Watch it. Please. All of it.
Somehow I know, we'll meet again
Not sure quite where and I don't know just when
You're in my heart, so until then
It's time for saying goodbye.
Maybe we'll all come back some day and finally hit it big. Finally.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Knowing you, you will feel the same way when and IF you leave Arkansas. But school friends are different. Thank you facebook and blogs.
This is one excited grandma to have you all a short 6 hour drive away. But it was a fun 2 hour plane ride to Chicago.
Love you all!
I felt exactly the same way with that hymn yesterday, in a grateful sort of way, because if He leads us to paths we do not know, what can I expect but that it's the best place for us to be? It's nice, in a sense, to not be left wondering if we're doing the right thing.
You made me cry. I'm so sad to see you guys go. Thanks for being my lifesaver here in Chicago. I don't know who I would have asked all my insurance and grocery store questions if you weren't here. I'm excited for you though. You're gonna have a dishwasher and a garage! I hope you have me penciled in somewhere over the next week and half!
You'll have a friend in next-door (and just as unglamorous) Oklahoma. I never ever ever imagined myself in... Oklahoma... either. But it's not too bad down here. Even if there is no Trader Joe's.
I forgot to tell you about Primary yesterday. Jacob announced to everyone that he was moving to Arkansas, this was his last Sunday, and then continued to expound on that a bit. Then Nicholas piped up in his cute tiny high voice saying, "I'm coming too!" He didn't want to be left behind ;). It was super cute!
We are going to miss you too!! Too bad that Arkansas isn't closer... but you know, you will probably fall in love there too :) P.S. Please tell me how to fall in love with Chicago!
come on, arkansas is the coolest!! okay, but seriously, you'll always pine for Chicago, but you'll love it, too, I'm sure. If you are like me, and of course you are :)
I wish I could come back and hit all your bucket-listings with you. I actually really started planning the logistics. It wouldn't work :)
Oh Robyn. I miss you dearly. I am quite certain you will come to love Oklahoma as you did ATL and Chicago. Isn't it great to make such awesome friends along the way? It makes each place we live, home! Lots of love to you and your family during this move. If I lived a few hours closer, I would certainly bring you dinner...maybe some chicken salad sandwiches ;)
I feel your pain. I hate saying goodbye and redoing all the work of settling in and meeting new friends and figuring out the best places for things, but knowing the change is the right thing. good luck.
Ahh! You aren't supposed to make me cry! I'm going to miss you sooooo much! You've been my rock here in Chicago, from the get-go. It just won't be the same without you here!:( I'm glad for you that you get to move on and settle into a new place with lots of new friends, just waiting for you there. :) Think....no more washing dishes by hand. Friends may come and go, but the dishes DON'T! j/k leaving/seeing friends move on is a painful part of life!
Oops! Just realized I was signed in under Linc. Trust me...he isn't that emotional of a guy. Haha!
Great post. I'm excited for your new adventure! Glad that you're doing it all one last time. Miss you guys!
Post a Comment