Sunday, July 10, 2011

To Liberty!

For Family Home Evening this past week we decided to do a patriotic lesson.  We looked at a few different flags, talked about what flags mean generally, and then read the story of Captain Moroni and the title of liberty from the Book of Mormon reader.  Then we invited the boys to draw flags.  After such a nice little lesson I felt certain we'd see some nice flags. 

Here's Nico's "flag" with two men standing next to flags and angrily brandishing swords.



And here's Jacob's flag, complete with a battle scene and generic mottoes.  (I'm talkin' about you "We have freedom" and "Seek liberty".)  Oh, and do you see the pools of blood?  I see them, but Matt thinks they're just the ground beneath the dying soldiers.  The ones writhing in pain and screaming, "No!"


















I know the scriptures are true, but I also know that they are violent.  Sometimes I wonder if I should read them to the kids, I mean there's some tough stuff in there.  Bible, Book of Mormon, you name it! 

And, yes, my kids love it.  I'm sooo proud of them.

5 comments:

nbarnes2 said...

that is awesomeness. jackson is obsessed with dead people, bad nephites, and killing bad people that have swords that he would take the sword from and them kill them with it. (his plan if one shows up at our door.)

Jana said...

Awesome! We went to the Hill Cummorah Pageant on Saturday, and it was interesting to see Abinadi burned at the stake, and several battle scenes acted out. Over all it was awesome, but there were a couple of times that I had to re-assure the kids that they were actors, and that although it happened a long time ago, it wasn't happening then. :)

Carina said...

Haha! Too funny! I love kids and their creativity! Oh man I so miss you guys. I hope that you are doing well and enjoying the summer. :)

Mere said...

Hilarious! This post reminds me how different little boys are from little girls. (My guess is that the way they missed the point is totally normal, but I can see why you're slightly disturbed.)

I love the swords and slogans. Yay for family home evening!

Hilda said...

Yes, boys seem to delight in all that gory stuff. Love the detailed pictures they drew.