We've noticed that Benjamin has been a little slower verbally than his peers. (And significantly slower than Nico "full-sentences-the-minute-he-turned-two" Hutch.) Ben talks all of the time and understands us very well, but his ability to clearly communicate his thoughts with us comes and goes. We never sent out a Christmas letter, but we (mainly Matt) did write one that we had big plans to email out last week. The paragraph about Benjamin describes his current linguistic stage perfectly:
Our little man has grown a lot this year. He started the year at Ewok level (small, unintelligible, hairy being) and is now solidly at caveman level (slightly larger, more intelligible, less hairy humanoid). Benjamin speaks best through his expressive eyes and ready smile. He loves to imitate his older brothers as they wrestle and play football and he thoroughly enjoys being a part of their team. Benjamin is such a sweet boy who is quick to hug, kiss and say thank you at just the right moments.
I decided to ask the help of our kind friend Katie, who is a speech pathologist, to determine if we might want to have him evaluated for speech delay. Since Katie lives in Michigan, I made her a video of him identifying flash cards that he hadn't seen for months. The video captures him so perfectly that I had to share it.
A few notes:
1. Benjamin is adamant that he's five, not two. I've decided to stop fighting it.
2. Katie suggested that we go ahead and have him evaluated. Thank you Katie!
3. "That's a tree, and that's a carrot!" I love him so much.
4. If you know where the title of this blog comes from, I'm impressed. Go to minute 4:50. Where can I find a pair of those glasses!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It is so fun to see updates on your kids. Penny also insists she is 5 and not 2.
Cosmito did speech therapy for a year and I loved it! He is now speaking very well. He loved his therapist and it didn't cost us anything!! Go for it!
That's the sweetest video! Benny is so bright eyed and smiley!!
Who knew the word "carrot" is actually so delightful? I loved that moment.
Robyn, I'm sorry to say that Ben is only two and already exuding Davy Jones-esque appeal (big, expressive eyes, wide smile, generally winsome temperment ...). Imagine a twinkle or two in an eye and on a tooth ... do you see it? Danger.
He is adorable. So glad you shared this video.
Also, when he says "bee" perfectly -- so adorable.
Post a Comment