Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fourth o' July

Now that Jacob has turned the ripe old age of one he has a broader vista of events like the fourth of July...having now experienced two of them. His first fourth of July was spent driving Grandma & Grandpa Gamette to the airport and striking sultry poses, like this one, with momma.



Now we've got a different baby on our hands. One who looks overheated and/or sunburned in the following picture, but I swear he is neither.



So, we went to what I assume amounts to Norcross Georgia's Freedom Festival. This basically includes a bunch of "country" booths crammed onto Old Norcross's main street and a fabulous, wonderful, awe-inspiring concert "on the green".



This concert had it all. The Sugar Hill Stake Choir sang (go us!) and the Gwinnett county community band performed. Four marines who had served in Iraq presented the colors.



They also did a beautiful tribute to our servicemen and women by singing all of the anthems of the Armed Forces and inviting those who had served in those branches to stand during the singing. If you look closely you can see that there was more than one person who had served in the Air Force in attendance.



It was wonderful. The evening was also very illuminating.

We learned that those "country" people made annoying marshmallow guns. Thusly we learned that Matt is a walking target.

We learned that Jacob will stay up past 7:00 if there are enough loud drums to mesmerize him.



We learned that trains are kid magnets. (You should have seen all of the kids in an absolute dead run to watch the train go by...and yes, this looks dangerous.)



We also learned that Auburn people/fans/alumni are, in fact, "slackers" (kidding)...for you, my dear Machoo.



Lastly, we learned that if I hear lyrics like these:

Oh, thus be it ever, when free men shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this is our motto: "In God is our Trust!"
And the star spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I will cry, cry, and cry some more. (The face is a joke, but those tears were fo' real.)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a 4th commemoration I could get into. It looks homely and sincere. Jacob certainly eats better this year than last. We had a good time too. Mother, Hilda, and I were orphans and went to dinner. I watched the fantastic fireworks from NYC. Love those set to music.
Have a happy week.

Mere said...

"We'll live in fame or go down in flame; nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!"
It's amazing amazing how loyalty develops so quickly, isn't it?

That looks like a fun day! Trains, marshmellow guns, drums--a perfect day for a little boy. (No Scrabble--a good day for Matt, too.)

I loved that adorable Jacob profile pic. Such a beep-able little button nose! I can't believe how blond his eyebrows are!! Was cutie-boy frowning or concentrating? How late did he stay up??

I know what you mean about the crying. Every day at 4:30 they play the Star-Spangled Banner from loud-speakers mounted all over the base. I pretend that I only cried the first time that I experienced it--with all of the pedestrians (many in military uniforms) standing still and cars stopping wherever they were--but truthfully, I cry whenever I think about it. It is nice to feel proud for a few minutes despite scandals, leaks, and debates.

Anyway, thanks for the "then and now" contrast. I was just thinking about how much more fun you must have had this year, having had a year under your belt with the thankfully eating boy. What a little blessing he is!

Shayleen Lunt said...

I'm so glad that Jacob enjoyed the show as much as you did! He really is getting so blonde! Maybe next year he'll make it to the fireworks at dark! Let's just hope he doesn't take after Olivia by burying her head in a pillow inside the house to hide from the fireworks.

Anonymous said...

What a cool and happy holiday! I loved Old Norcross, it was just so cool over there. I wanted to go do more over there so I'm glad you could go enjoy it. We ate at the TrainStation Cafe for my b-day and that was great!

Jacob is looking so cute as usual, and yes, so blonde-wow! What a cutie!

I totally get ya w/ the Anthem and any patroitic (sp???) song these days with my brother in Iraq. It effects me so much more now, they are soo powerful and I wish we did sing them more, and all 3 verses of the Anthem! :] Even God Be W/ you Till we Meet Again got me super teary eyed in church a few Sundays ago! So no worries, I'm right there w/ you! Good for you!!! And thanks for the vote of confidence on Natalie's quiz :] yeah, we passed at least!

Hang in there and keep having fun!

Love, Chelsea

Anonymous said...

Well I'm proud of y'all for doing that 4th of July stuff....such as it was. It's so true....there's nothing like a serviceman or a veteran to bring a tear to the eye (especially around the 4th) When I was a young girl, my Dad would always cry on Veterans Day, or on ANZAC (Australia & New-Zealand Army Corp) Day. I didn't get it then, but I sure do now.

Jana said...

you love me jacob. and you play with toys
love,maddie