Thursday, November 05, 2009

Holy Halloween, Matt Man!


















We Hutches were superheroes this Halloween. You might wonder, "Why superheroes? Why now?"

Well, it was basically a chance for me to make the kids wear those darn capes! And it worked! Jacob said about a month ago that he wanted to be Superman for Halloween. I told him (through gritted teeth...still bitter about the capes) that Superman wears a cape, so he would have to wear one. He quickly said never mind.

But the superhero bug had bitten him and soon enough he started to get excited about donning his cape and being CAPTAIN JACOB! Nicholas became NICO MAN, Matt became MATT MAN and I became ROBYN. Get it? Matt Man and Robyn? Genius.













Here they are wearing their masks. Masks that Nicholas tore off quickly and that Jacob miraculously wore the whole time!














This Halloween involved 3 rounds of trick or treating, 3 Halloween parties, and lots of candy. Oh, too much candy! But we had a great time. We went trick or treating first at Matt's school on Friday night. The boys were in heaven. Jacob pretty much floated from office to office beaming and saying, "Happy Halloween!" to anyone who would listen. Here's the one picture I took that night and I think it captures the tone of the evening beautifully.


















Trick or treating round 2 happened in our building (after an awesome party in our building that morning) on Saturday. Everyone should be jealous of trick or treating in an apartment building. Soooo warm!

Follow me, follow me to candy!


















And yes, their Halloween bags were brown paper sacks. Handmade only goes so far in our household.














Round 3 was a trunk or treat at our church. I can stomach a trunk or treat in a big city (why does Provo, Utah have them!?!), but I didn't take pictures because there's just not much to a trunk or treat. The Halloween party afterward inside the church was wonderful. It was especially gratifying to win the "Best Family Costume" prize! What did we win, you ask? A piece of paper that said, "Best Family Costume"! Woot woo! But, considering that we had just received 5 pounds of candy in the parking lot I think the piece of paper was prize enough.

After the church party we went home and practiced our angry faces. Like, you know, superheroes have to get angry when they are chasing the bad guys.




























Apparently really angry.














Like, really angry. (Nice dental work Matt!)














Here's my favorite Halloween 2009 picture.

Brothers are sweet.

7 comments:

Hilda said...

Great job on the costumes "Robyn." One cute themed family...that's for sure. I laughed at the brown bags. I could have sent them the orange ones I had for them last October. Oh well. :)

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures!!! I really appreciated the post. It made us feel like we were right there. As Hilda and I handed out our candy at the ward trunk or treat we saw lots of cute kids... but there is nothing like "your" cute kids. You hit on a winner of a theme. You can tell because the kids looked like they really had a great time. Thanks so much for letting us see your evening.

nbarnes2 said...

those costumes are so cute! i love it. i also love the push to make them wear homemade capes! im working on a blanket for jackson but my fear is he won't want it.

Shayleen Lunt said...

What a fun holiday. I can already imagine their excitement for next year. And yes, with a baby, I will be jealous of apartment trick-or-treating (how come Eagle's point never did that ;)

Grandma Jan said...

ALL you superheroes look wonderful! Halloween is one holiday I am thankful not to have kids around for anymore. I got more than my share of candy I am sure. Love you all. I have heard of inheriting traits of ancestors. Do you think I can UPherit your super power traits? Corny.

holly b said...

super cute! love your creativity.

Andrea said...

So cute Robyn! And I am so glad they would wear them and have such a fun time. Halloween looked really fun in Chicago.