I've enjoyed being the only member of our family with a graduate degree. I mean, you know, mommy got her masters! And man it helps me in my day to day parenting adventures. Nothing gives me greater joy than to discuss word order in Dominican speech or the etymology of the word "gringo" with my boys over the proverbial pb and j. Soon enough my degree will serve me professionally, but for now it's just bragging rights. Bragging rights that Matt has pried out of my cold, dishpan hands.
I knew when Matt got out of school he would also have a masters, and I would have to be happy with an educational tie. Alas, it was not meant to be. A few months into his MBA we realized that, for a myriad of reasons, it would make sense for Matt to also get a masters in Public Policy. Two degrees! Two. Bah. You win this time Hutch. Only this time.
It really was a great time to celebrate Matt's accomplishments and our family's small role in them. We're so grateful for our time in Chicago (something I know I've beaten into my readership). And I am so proud of Matt's hard work and dedication. My parents were able to come out for the graduation and unsurprisingly my dad took a million wonderful pictures of the event. Here are some of my favorites. There are a lot of them.
Graduation was held in Rockefeller chapel, which made me feel like Matt was graduating from Hogwarts. Seriously, with the stone walls, cloaks and scepters (I counted at least two) it was a far cry from the innocuous setting of the Marriot Center. A score board really takes a bit of the pomp (and slight creepiness) out of it. This was pomp (and creepy) filled. But the building was beautiful. And so was Matt.
Receiving his diploma
And then the heavens opened and a light shone upon the Master(s). He's sweet.
A truly beautiful building.
The next day we slapped some brand new maroon bow ties on the boys (thanks mom and dad) and took some pictures of the graduate and his family by the business school and Rockefeller chapel. Again, thank you so much dad and there are a lot of pictures.
Bartenders!
Little graduates!
Rockefeller chapel
I love the look on Ben's face.
Jumping for joy (trying to cheer up Jacob...unsuccessful).
Cheesy face of mine, unbelievably beautiful face of Benjo's
We did it! Go team Hutch! (That's how I'll make myself feel better about the whole Matt beating me thing...hooray for coattails!)
4 comments:
I'll add a hearty thanks to the fam for putting up with it all. I love you.
And you need to know why jacob was upset. His tooth became loose while we were taking pictures and it scared him. Brave boy.
Wait a second. This is not the point of your post at all, but do you have a masters in Spanish linguistics? Mine is in Spanish pedagogy. Where did you do this? At BYU? Your comment about dominican made me think of Dr. Alba. Do you know him?
And is it weird that I still read your blog occasionally and you don't even really know me, but my sister (Rebecca, you worked with her in Atlanta?) told me check it out a long time ago?
Congrats Matt!
Oh, bittersweet! We are happy for you guys and proud of Matt. And yes, it was a team effort. I totally take credit for Spencer's MBA :) beautiful pictures, i love the bartender ones!
Post a Comment