Her middle name, Snow, is in honor of my mother's side of the family. We have had that middle name planned for a baby girl since my pregnancy with Jacob. We honestly thought we'd never get a chance to use it! Each of the boys have a middle name that honors one of their grandparents' families: Matt's dad's family (LeGrand), my dad's family (Gamette), and Matt's mom's family (James). Each of the boys' middle names are perfect tributes. Now it was my mom's turn. My mother's first name is Hilda and she has always said that she did NOT want anyone to name a child after her, even though I maintain that she makes 'Hilda' seem cool. Using 'Snow' was a way to name a baby after her without displeasing her.
Liesl's first name is in honor of my dad. Two days before my dad died I was still in the hospital. As my injuries were stabilizing, my dad's health was starting to deteriorate. At that time we never would have dreamed that he was going to pass away in two days. Because he was not doing well my nurse asked me if I wanted to go and see him. As I was shuffling to a wheelchair for Matt to take me down to see dad I turned to him and said that we needed a name for this baby. My concern was that she was going to come early. The day of the accident I had contracted throughout the afternoon and evening, and even though we were three days out from the accident we were still under some threat of a 28 week delivery. It was just a simple moment in time when I said, "How about Liesl Snow?". We had always liked the name Liesl, but hadn't done more than put it on a short mental list of favorites. We looked at each other in that moment and it just felt right.
When my dad was in his final hours and we knew then that he was going to leave us I felt that our name choice had an extra, unintended, and yet very welcome meaning. My dad's name is Leland and their shared first syllable is so dear to me. Gaining this little "Lee" has brought so much to our lives as we are all still reeling from losing my dad. It felt like another small way that we were prepared for dad's passing. The name we picked as our favorite was the perfect homage to him.
Liesl is a miracle baby in every way and such a blessing to our family. She was born full-term and as pink and darling as we could have imagined. Expect many, many, many, many, many more pictures of her and our new life together.
5 comments:
We love that sweet Liesl!!! Maddie, Gideon, and Libbet have all been oohing and ahhing over the pics! Thanks for the beautiful tribute to Dad! I love that story of how her name came to be! She is a little gift from Heaven, and we are all so glad she is here safe and sound!
Brings tears to my eyes. That last picture of her looks like she is talking to me. So adorable and such a bundle of joy for family near and far.
OHHHH sooo incredibly sweet! She is beautiful and so precious! I was so excited to hear her name & to see if she had a ton of hair!!! :] I'm so glad she does, hee hee :] I loved reading about her sweet name and yes, its making me cry too. Thank you for sharing. Her name is perfect and so wonderful. I Love the family connections and tributes-so perfect! She is an amazing miracle and such a precious blessing. Wow, I still can't believe all that you have been through. I am so glad you have her though, what a sweet, sweet blessing and tender mercy. I bet you guys are just loving her up to pieces :] so sweet!
You've been in my thoughts and prayers often! Love ya~*
Oh Robyn, what a great post! Your baby is absolutely adorable. For real. (like, not many babies are cute, but man, she sure is!)
I love, love, love her name too. I loved it before you even said the meaning behind it. I'm so happy for you. Is having four little ones hard? It was hard for me. I thought it wasn't supposed to be any harder than three, but I really disagree. I know I say this a lot, but I miss you dearly. You live in Provo, right? Aaron and I are talking about moving back to Utah this year. I miss my family so much and with all that has happened to our family this year, it may be time.
oh i love that baby!!! i sure hope you have a ton of bows for that gorgeous hair!!!
Post a Comment