Let's say you unexpectedly have a chance to have daddy drive you home, but a certain 3.5 year old says he would prefer to take the bus.
Now imagine that that 3.5 year old reneges on his decision and wants to go with daddy.
But daddy's in a rush and driving away.
Get this, now that 3.5 year old starts crying. Wailing. At the bus stop. There's snow, there's cold, there's a crowd of people gaping at your child as he screams, "Daddy! I want Daddy!".
The bus comes. It's FULL. You are a 10 blocks from home. Again, it's cold. It's snowy. You only have the single stroller.
Care for a 10 block walk with your crying toddler...who would be walking? Oh, and it's getting dark. In Hyde Park. Think fast.
You board the bus. Easing your stroller through the crowd. You spot a friend's husband on the bus who seems understanding and willing to help. Now you fully understand tender mercies.
That 3.5 year old is still crying. Still. And every other word is daddy. You're feeling awesome.
Your friend's husband gets off at the stop before yours. You see a nice Asian couple across from you. They are getting off at your stop. You realize..."I have to get this stroller through all of these people!!!"
This couple makes their move half a block before the stop. You pop up and tell them you'll get off of the bus in their wake. You let the 3.5 year old down off of your lap and assume, assume that he's standing next to you. (Oh, you fool!)
You slowly start to poke the stroller a foot forward.
The bus stops.
The bus lurches.
The entire bus gasps.
Your 3.5 year old (while you were panicking about getting off of the bus) got onto your empty seat and kneeled on it.
When the bus lurches, guess who flies.
Gravity catches him right at the spot between the seat and the front of the bus.
You turn.
Oh. No.
You run to him.
EVERYONE on the bus holds their breath.
He is wedged in so tight you wonder if you'll even be able to get him out. The metal handle on the seat is in his mouth like a bridle.
You ease him out, anxious to get off of the bus.
Then, wait for it, the lady a few seats down gasps and loudly proclaims, "He's bleeding!"
Oh. No.
You assess. It's just a nick on his forehead. It's OK.
You look up. The Asian couple is getting the stroller containing the 1.5 year old off of the bus for you. You look at your fellow passengers. Disgust and shock are truly etched on their faces.
You know your child is fine. But you feel like they need to know. So you make a joke. Because you really are that cool. Something about how the drama's over because you're leaving. (Remember, the show's been going on since you boarded with the wailing 3.5 year old and a stroller.)
You expect someone's face to soften at your weak gesture (cry for help). Or to say, "Hope he feels better". Or to give you a look that they understand that these things happen.
You see no one move a muscle. And you see someone. A guy standing at the back. Who has the textbook definition of horror written on his face.
You will never forget his face.
You bolt. You assure the Asian people that it will be OK. Your 3.5 year old is crying. Screaming.
You're shaking.
Your apartment building is half a block away. The Asian couple insist on taking you home. You don't resist. The lady says, "I have the regret, I should have held him!". You let her know that she holds no blame. The blessed calling of "guilt bearer" rests with mother.
You carry your shaken 3.5 year old home. The lovely couple take you to the door of the building. Nay, into the building.
They bow multiple times as they leave you. Wishing you well. Being kind and understanding. Tender mercy.
You get upstairs. You look at your child. He has spread the blood all over his face. He looks like he's gone through a windshield. Or two.
You cry. You wipe him up. You call the nurse help-line to determine if stitches are needed (they're not). You call your friend to come look at it. You cry some more.
Now it's time to make dinner! Oh, and daddy won't be home until well after bedtime!
Are you wondering who the 3.5 year old is?
Here is the "after" picture (I have to show the "after" first because the "before" is horrific).
Taken 1 hour after the accident. Happy and well.
Now, brace yourselves.
15 comments:
Gasp! I've soooo been there. I'm surprised you waited until you got home to cry. I would have lost it long before that.
PS I served with Hutch in SLC.
I think the extreme cold really accentuated the hurt nature of that picture!
You did the best thing. I am sorry for little Jacob, but I am more sorry for Mommy, I just despise situations in which I feel so terrible and embarrased. Sadly, they happen ALL the time!
Love you!
Oh my word. Did you make Matt apologize 100 times for doing nothing, but just the fact that you had to go through that?
I think you say it best, when you say, "City living is hard." (That is what you said, right?)
I'm so glad that after the clean-up, Jacob looks a gazillion times better. You are a fantastic mommy!!!
I swear you photo shopped the bad picture. My heart goes out to you Robyn!
What a horrible ordeal! Some day you will look back on it and think about how strong and awesome you were. And what are you doing making dinner when your husband isn't home for it? I hope you just made mac and cheese or pancakes from a mix. Poor Robyn. You did the absolute right thing.
what a horrible dream! oh wait! there's pictures! poor robyn
I am so sorry! I am sure you handled it magnificently though :).
Robyn I have always been good with blood and accidents..... until I had kids. Now if it concerns the kids I burst into tears. I remember calling 911 and having Shari grab it out of my hands, because I was crying so hard. That looked and sounded like a horrible afternoon. I hope Daddy came home and gave you a big hug.
Oh Robyn, I wish I could just take you in my arms and tell you what a wonderful and conscientious mother you are.
These things really do just happen. While it is etched in your mind, I'm sure he's forgotten already. My mom is still apologizing for a tumble I took down some stairs when I was the same age, and I have absolutely no memory of it. Don't worry!
As for the people who you think were judging you--what were they doing to help a horrified mother out? Exempting the sweet Asian couple (so sweet!), I'd judge them right back! (But maybe I should not reveal that.)
In closing, I might be able to tell you a true story about a Boston bus driver suddenly slamming on the brakes and a certain cousin of yours falling full force on top of a frail, elderly woman wearing braces on her legs. Would that make you feel any better?
Ack! What a picture!
Of course, of course, of course you did the right thing, Robyn. You are a loving, attentive mom but accidents happen (certainly in front of a busload of strangers).
The metal handle in his mouth like a bridle gets me every time. Yikes!! That boy's lucky he has front teeth. Love those bowing Asians - how sweet that they made sure you got to your apartment. What a great Mom you are!!
You should be a writer! You would make a fortune! I knew the story from having talked to you the day after it happened but I still hung on every word of this post. I sure hope I am sensitive to the needs of young mothers...shoot, I hope young mothers are sensitive to the needs of old ladies. xoxoxoxo
Guess what... I am officially a blogger
ohblesstheirhearts.blogspot
Bless your heart.
Oh the adventures that follow when we sign up for motherhood!
Glad he is well. I think almost everyone has had a moment like this one.
My favorite was Charity screaming "Somebody help me!" when I tried to buckle her into her car seat on an airplane. All because I wouldn't/couldn't let her use the bathroom on the plane because it was time for takeoff (besides I asked her not two minutes earlier when we were still in the airport).
Post a Comment