Thursday, March 05, 2009

Church

This year marks my spiritual rebirth. That's right, Nico's in nursery at church! No more toting him to my classes. No more parceling out the toys and snacks carefully so as not to run out by the last hour of church. Just quiet Relief Society and Sunday School meetings followed by an uneventful Sacrament Meeting. And since our new ward has so many rowdy kids and also is very appropriate snacks friendly in the chapel...well, you can imagine how free I feel.

This freedom hasn't come easily. January was pretty rough. Jacob wanted to go back to nursery, because really, who would want to leave nursery? Toys, treats, a 5 minute lesson; what's not to love? So he wanted us to stay with him in class or to just sit in the hall. Nicholas was weepy and edgy throughout nursery. Missing his angel mother, he was. And once other parents came to pick their kids up he pretty much lost it. And when Nico loses it it's LOST. We were feeling like Sunday success was still a long way off.

Slowly Nicholas has adjusted, and, though still not sold on the idea, he is reasonably happy in nursery. Again, the food and toys are very, very persuasive.

But Jacob...

Then our friend Eryn helped give me the guts (and idea) to be tough with Jacob. Real tough.

Two Sundays ago Jacob was fighting going to Sunbeams yet again. He wanted Matt to take him because Matt is a (really cute) pushover. J.J. knows I can play hardball. So I took him.

He immediately began his fight. So, I gave him a choice:

You can either go to Sunbeams without mommy or we can stand outside with no coats.


He immediately chose going outside. This particular Sunday he was wearing a short sleeved golf shirt (because he peeled his sweater off as soon as he got his coat off). I was wearing a cute and warm turtle neck sweater.

Game on.

We stood outside for about 2 minutes. It was about 25 degrees outside. (Do you still think I'm a good mother?) He began to pump his fists and grunt. Hardy har. I asked him, very respectfully mind you, if he wanted to make another choice. He grunted again and pointed at the building.

"OOooooh, you want to go to class? Oh, OK baby. Let's go."

And he hasn't looked back since.

Just about everyone who serves in the Primary has come up to me with stars in their eyes to tell me how Jacob is a changed man (this has been 2 Sundays of success). It feels great to tell them how I punished him with weather. Let's hope this heat waves leaves by Sunday!

Here are my boys on their first days of Sunbeams and Nursery.


















Righteous!

14 comments:

Mere said...

Oh, hilarious! I loved your descriptions--I could totally see the story unfolding. You (and your friend Eryn) are brilliant. Congrats on your victory (and excellent ward reputation). Welcome back to church!

P.S. I'm glad the freezing cold was good for SOMETHING.

nbarnes2 said...

that is a great story! love it! i hope the weather holds up and so does jacob going to primary.

Birrd said...

Fabulous! I'm going to have to remember that trick.

Hilda said...

Moving on from the safe and secure is so hard. We do it all our lives, but it never seems to get easier. Brilliant idea - using a little psychology and cold weather, and it worked!

Jana said...

What a fabulous use of LOVE AND LOGIC! You are AWESOME!

Shayleen Lunt said...

Very impressive Robyn. Chicago has slightly changed you ;) Congrats on your spiritual rebirth. It's such a big deal, I know!!!

Andrea said...

I have to admit I use the car as punishment for being naughty at church. And for all of you being shocked I do put on the air when it is summer when its really hot (not in the winter though). I leave them in the car in their belt and I sit nicely outside, until they are ready to go back in. After once or twice we are done with that! I think you are an awesome Mom and just so you know Rob is a cute pushover as well!

Anonymous said...

How Wonderful!!! I can hear Jacob grunting and see him pointing. I can also hear Nico loosing it after the one single crocodile tear rolls down his cheek. I am most happy that you did not learn to be tough from your mother-in-law!
Love to ALL! And HAPPY SUNDAYS until the next little one!

Elise said...

That is awesome. I'll have to remember that one :).

Hilda said...

Nico seems to "take it in the neck" quite often doesn't he. :)

Anonymous said...

Besides being love and logic, that was Lucy-Logic, Robyn. Why should the mother be the only one in pain. I recommend choices for ALL children--but only if one of the choices is really uncomfortable. (like not having your blanket for one whole night, Meredith.)

eryn said...

Victory! It's so sweet.

Anonymous said...

I think this blog has struck a cord; look how many comments are on it. Church and children; children and church. Or should it be church or children? Children or church? (I'm silly at midnight.)

LuAnn said...

I love that you went outside. That is hilarious.