Um, they did. We ran from home to the train station and barely made it. When we got off of the train we found ourselves on a busy Michigan Avenue, full of St. Patrick's Day die-hards. I looked pretty out of place as I pushed my two boys through it all, but I didn't feel out of place. We got to the bridge and saw that green river. Really and truly green.
Green greenie green green!
I had thrown some snacks in my bag before we left and tried to pass those off as a "picnic" dinner. Everything sounds better to Jacob if it's couched in a picnic. Jacob ate his up and then told me that when we got home we'd have real dinner and popcorn. Hmmm.
After a little while we crossed the river again to get back to the train station.
And enjoyed the view below and the view above.
As I walked, I remembered (here comes the introspection) the first time I ever crossed a bridge over the Chicago River four and a half years ago. It was an early fall night and looked like this:

Matt was traveling for work and was able to bring me along. He had spent all day working. I had spent all day wandering the Art Institute and the surrounding streets. While I wandered I started to feel hungry, tired, and nauseated. By the time Matt got back I was feeling yucky. A new yucky. We walked north to a restaurant that served the very best steak I think I've ever had. But I couldn't enjoy it. Then we came back to the hotel to sleep in the very best bed I've ever slept in. Then we came home to find out I was pregnant with Jacob.
I can't believe that only four years have passed since then. I would never have dreamed that four years later Matt and I would move our two young sons to this big city. Or that we'd even have two sons. And I never, ever, ever would have imagined myself capable of an outing like the one we were on.
Several years before I moved to New Jersey (for my mission) I drove through it a few times and roundly criticized it. I think the phrase, "feast your eyes people, because this is the last time we have to see New Jersey!" escaped my lips. Yet I lived there and loved it.
Several years before I moved to Atlanta I was completely certain that my mission call would be to Atlanta, Georgia. Certain. So New Jersey came as an even bigger shock! I ended up in Atlanta later than I'd thought and for a different kind of mission, but it turned into the truest of homes.
And now again, several years before moving to Chicago I had this experience that brought the city onto my radar. I felt out of place and intimidated on my trip back then. I felt a conviction that I was not made for that life. Yet here we are. And it's happening. It's becoming home.
It's cool.
12 comments:
Wow, what a great story. I can't believe how green the water is! Amazing! I think your job on bathtub water is great. I want to do that for my kids!
fabulous story. yes im teary but thats no big shock. and wow how green!! that is so cool. those boys are so big. what a great city to live in and call home even if you are still wearing coats while today i went to the park in short sleeves and rolled up my pants.....im sorry. was that mean?
oh and i forgot to say those were some really cool pictures too. i was way impressed.
okay, you win...I actually think the green tub water is cooler...I hope I can remember it for next year! Can we go visit some place...any place together? Maybe we would then end up there together!
I love the way you write. You tell great stories. :)
It's about this time of year that I remember that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chicago...I mean when I can actually walk outside with just a down coat (meaning its warm enough that hat, scarf and gloves aren't necessary and getting out is a little more simple). Isn't the river amazing. Good attempt in the tub, too.
I always like to hear your introspection. New Jersey: the shocker mission call that no one expects but then comes to love in numerous ways.
If I hadn't lived there for 18 months I would not have been so adventurous to move back to the east coast for a job that threw me in the path of my now husband of 6 years. crazy what jersey will do to you.... ; ) what's crazier to me is having a daughter who is old enough to start kindergarten this fall!?!
oh and that green river is very worth a stroller outing.
I am glad you all got to see the green river. I did think of it on St. Patty's day. Is that where we crossed in December? Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what cha gonna git.
That is so cool! I saw it on TV, but your pictures are much better. I'm also glad that you "got back on the horse" and was able to have a successful train ride with the kiddos. :)
Nice introspection there. I bet the boys loved the green tub water! That sounded like a fun activity to take the boys on the train into the city to see the green river. Wonder who in the city had to go and buy all those packets of food coloring, only to throw out the blue yellow and red. (ha)
I, too, was thinking of that green water in the city on St. Patrick's Day, so thanks for capturing it on your camera for us.
We will be home (in Chicago--our home!) this week and hope to see you and the boys outside, sans coats.
(But have you shreaded?! I have ceased the shreadding...)
Do they do this every year? I have never heard of this. How crazy, yet how cool. That is so green! I am really glad you got to have boys. You are a very COOL mom to your boys. They will always remember it.
Post a Comment