Tuesday, June 09, 2009

So, I Made Some Capes

I was so excited.

I found some University of Alabama fabric (roll tide) at the bottom of my sewing bin. I bought a half yard of it way back when I only had one child. Because it was an odd cut of fabric I had to make up a pattern and be pretty creative. Very fun and also very time consuming.

Oh, who am I kidding, it felt pretty nightmarish a lot of the time. I'm a novice with sewing and I'm also a perfectionist. Perfectionism is a burden at any time, but couple it with pretty basic sewing skills and making two simple capes can seem pretty soul crushing.

That being said, the night after I finished the capes I felt so sad that my project was done. Little did I know that learning so much and being so focused on a task for my children was edifying me and filling me up. Each night I thought of the boys and how they'd love the capes. I was giddy about how much they'd love them. I was so used to sitting at the machine, cutting, thinking, measuring, ironing, gasping in terror, and unpicking that I am anxious to get sewing again.

With all of the cape making and the day dreaming of my boys leaping tall buildings in a single bound I forgot one thing. Jacob. In his own bull-headed way he won't wear his. The child who two weeks ago was holding pieces of paper up to his shoulders and saying, "I'm Superman!". Won't...wear...it.

Sigh.

So, here is Nicholas in his cape. He's still not sold so I haven't rushed to sew the velcro on the ties (for safety). But at least he'll wear it, right?




































Super Nico!




































Even super heroes get their feelings hurt.


















Anyone interested in a child's cape with a J on it? I think I know of one is that is completely not being used. Sigh, siiiiigh.

15 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

What a great looking cape Robyn! Maybe I should name my little girl something that starts with a "J," just so I could call dibs on that cape :)
I have thought of you so much lately! I hope you are doing good. Is your cell number still the same?

acandiedapple said...

AMAZING! That is an awesome cape. Your boys are so lucky. Hopefully Jacob will come around. I'm so impressed!

Catherine said...

Cute cape! Just keep Jacob's out where he can see it, and he'll decide on his own to wear it one of these days. Probably.

Melissa said...

I wish Lucas was Jucas we would love to have some Alabama love at our house. I am sure one day he will wear it and appreciate.

Melissa said...

I think you should wear it because only a super-mom could make such great capes! They're very cute and fun. Good job.

Hilda said...

I have a great idea! Bring it home when you come, and offer it to his cousin Gideon. Jacob will probably want it right away, and then we'll make one for Gideon. By the way, awesome job on those capes Robyn!

Rachel said...

Do you happen to have a cape with an "R" on it? I know someone who would love to wear a cape with an "R"

LuAnn said...

I love how it turned out! There really is something about giving your time to your children. Speaking of it...I should get off the internet and go play with them. Bye!

Jana said...

I will bring Gideon's cape...we will just see if we can trick Jacob into liking his. Be brave, I know it happens to you a lot, but know that you are not alone. All kids decided not to like things Mommy wants.

Carly said...

Those are great capes, and I feel your pain. I have two words for you: liquid stitch.

Chelseanator said...

Holy smokes! I am totally impressed w/ your capes! Those are some very awesome capes. They are so fabulous and I can see all the love and time stitched into them. Good for you for sticking w/ it (yes it is hard being a perfectionist and sewing but you'll learn to loosen up some, hopefuly :] ) I'm sorry Jacob won't wear it but I think everyone else had some great ideas. My mom made us capes out of bath handtowels and stretch elastic or something and did our intials w/ zizag rick-rack-we loved them and still do :] They will treasure them. So creative and useful, way to go!

Love, Chelsea

Aunt LuAnn said...

Well, I saw LuAnn on there and wondered if I had had a time warp or something and I didn't remember this blog and my response. Then I remember there is a nother LuAnn. So, I'd better put the Aunt on mine. What a shock that was---with my spelling too. Well, hers, too.

The best way to get Jacob to like the cape is to 1) show Superman on DVD and 2)act like you don't care. I like Catherine's ideas to just leave it out. Also, give Nico cookies each time he wears his and is having fun. Jacob might take the hint.

One note: my mother made me an outfit once that I absolutely would not wear. I still feel guilty about it and have great regret. Maybe this will happen to little man Jacob.

nbarnes2 said...

oh my preciousness!!! that is so adorable! i love it love it. especially the pic that even superman gets his feelings hurt. and i say maybe if you keep jaunting jacob he'll come around. i was about to say watch a super movie like the incredibles but....no capes.

kel bel said...

Robyn and Matt, your boys are amazingly cute. The pouty super hero picture is classic. I enjoy checking out your blog and seeing how your family is doing. We miss you guys and hope all is well!

Andrea said...

I bet he will use it eventually. I think you did a great job. I love the big letter on the back. You did such a great job.