Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Not your newborn's ER visit

Yes, we took Jacob to the ER, but before you get worried and start thinking his onesie has lost its snaps, here's a brief overview.

1. Mommy and Jacob were playing in Mommy & Daddy's room.

2. Jacob knocked some books off Mommy's nightstand.

3. Jacob played one foot away from Mommy with his back turned to her.

4. Mommy noticed Jacob smacking his lips in his usual "something's in my mouth that ought not to be there" sort of way.

5. Mommy decided not to use her cat-like reflexes as she took a slow approach to do a mouth sweep.

6. Jacob GULPED.

7. Mommy heard said GULP and worried about what he could have swallowed and looked behind him to see...A PAPERCLIP!

8. Mommy called the doctor and explained the situation and the doctor said he needed an x-ray, "just to be sure".

9. Daddy, Mommy & Jacob ended up in the waiting room at Scottish Rite Children's Hospital watching Monsters Inc. and playing this game for a couple of hours.


Video Hosting - Upload Video - Photo Sharing
(It obviously got old for Jacob after a little while.)
10. After stretching Jacob out like he was on the rack on the x-ray table, as he wailed and wailed, we found out that Jacob had nothing metallic in his belly.
Phew, double phew.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huge Phew!
I thought something had happened when I noticed one of your comments from Shayleen's website and was really hoping everything was okay. I'm so glad he's fine. Its okay, that stuff happens-crazy huh! At least he didn't (well not yet) stick a pea up his nose and you have to take him to get it removed and you're a nurse yourself!!!! Don't ask me how I might think of this odd and embarressing situation!!! hee hee heee :] I'm glad everyone is okay and look forward to seeing the video at home where I'll have sound! Hang in there, you're doing a fantastic job! Boys are just one big fun handful!!!!
Love, Chelseaaaah

Jana said...

Matt, you'll be in there next with whip-lash at that rate! So glad it was a false alarm...way better safe than sorry!

Love, Jana

Anonymous said...

jana, now that you mention it, my neck does feel a bit stiff. and you know, it wasn't stiff before i got the hospital. it must have something to do with whatever the hospital folks did. now i'm angry; i smell a lawsuit. should i ask for $1 or $2 million?

i heard of a lady a couple weeks ago who was awarded around $1.3 million b/c she was humiliated in front of her coworkers. i guess it was a sales competition and the losing team had to be paddled in front of everyone else.

Anonymous said...

Matt maybe a little/lots of salt water will help that neck.
Glad to know all is well in the tummy, Jacob, and it sure looked like you had a great time in the waiting room.
I am looking forward to playing some games with you next week. Do you want to ride in the bike seat?
Love y'all.

Anonymous said...

Now that I know everything's okay, as I watch this video and read the comments I am just in fits of laughing out loud. You have officially made my day! (I kind of feel silly laughing so hard when I'm all alone in the house):] It's just as well men don't wear makeup, or not only would you have a stiff neck Matt, but you would have splotchy makeup. For that reason I would have had to have found a different game to play with him. (Thank goodness for Daddies!)Those false alarms can be expensive, but it's the price we pay for peace of mind.
Love, Mom

Robyn said...

Chelsea: Who on earth could that nurse be? I don't know, but I imagine she raised a delightful daughter.

Jana: Thank you for warning us about the hazards of that game, let it be known that it can cause lots of giggles and a sore neck.

Daddy of the Mack Daddy: So, do you want me to call Ken Nugent?

Grandma Jan: I think salt water will definitely help Matt's neck and I think Jacob would love a bike ride! (Especially in one of those exciting pull behind trailers...imagine all the Cheerios he could eat.)

Gram Hilda: I'm so glad you've enjoyed this video the way we have. It's definitely easy to wander back to during the day. What a ham. And Jacob's pretty silly too.

Andrea said...

I am so glad that he is o.k. That would be very scary. Babies and ER do not mix! One time Anika was 3 and she got a B puzzle piece stuck on her thumb. We went to the ER and they took it off. It was scary too (but mostly funny)