Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Was this worth 1,500 dollars?

Our buyer (yes, you heard right) wanted the septic tank pumped and inspected prior to purchase. Apparently, before finding our amazing home, they were very interested in another home with a septic tank. A septic tank that hadn't been pumped in 30 years. Yes, you heard right, 30 years! To add to the nightmare, the owner of that disgusting septic tank didn't want them pumping and inspecting it! Oh golly, it's so gross (having looked our septic tank in the eye) I can't stand it!

Anyway, when the septic tank guys came they had a DIGGER hitched to the back of their big pump truck. Now, it was actually a mini-excavator. Jacob was hooked. So happy. And totally engrossed.


















They located the septic tank through a 6th/septic sense. They stuck a small rod into the ground and thumped on the tank to show me that it was there. I truly had a small hope that there was a treasure chest there and not a box of poopies. Alas...

We stayed outside and watched until they opened the tank. I had read online that you should never clean your own septic tank (like we would want to!) because the fumes would kill you and--ahem--anyone who attempted to rescue you. Truly. That's what it said. Unfortunately, the fumes aren't really that deadly, because they beckoned me out and (as I previously mentioned) they forced me to come near it and look into it! The workman insisted that I OK every aspect of the job. Please, no! My eyes! My nose!

They were using septic terminology that just meant nothing to me and the smell and concept were horrid. "The hoozibob is crumbling and there are roots growing all through the whatsigig. We really should put some chirrioos in it and replace that crumbling hoozibob."

I would have agreed to anything...ANYTHING! Just to escape!

So, I was able to flee after forking over $1500 and looking into the thing 5 times. It was harrowing.

But seriously, to have a digger in your own back yard...

Priceless?

I sure hope so.


















Do you see Jacob?























Jacob had one request during the digging. Listen up as I coy-ly ask him "what?" about 4 billion times. Diggers are amazing AND loud.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a treat for a curious boy - to have an excavator in your back yard! I see Nicholas was getting into the action also - that last frame on the video. :) I laughed so hard when you told of the workmen explaining stuff to you. When you've never heard any of it before it's certainly like a foreign language.

Love, Mom

Shayleen Lunt said...

What a great post Robyn. You are so funny. Although Carter wouldn't know it was an excavator, he would certainly have been in heaven too. Poop Heaven.

Anonymous said...

Certainly more entertaining than waves at the beach!!!Love to all

Jana said...

Hillarious!!! I am totally impressed that Jacob was able to stay on the patio...I would have been hauling a screaming and kicking and hitting and scratching and hair pulling boy out of the hole. Jacob sure was a good boy!

I think they made you look in it so you would be so desperate to get away you would pay them any amount...I sure would if it were me!

Andrea said...

I have to say that when we had ours pumped in our last house it stunk so bad. We had to leave as soon as it was done. Then last year my neighbor did his and our garage stunk for like a week. I hate septic tanks

holly b said...

the things we do to sell a house! at least Jacob's love affair with the machinery makes up for it. that is a cute video. what little boy wouldn't want to ride it?!?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! You guys have the craziest luck w/ buying or selling a house! That is a wild request for sure. I sure hope it was worth it, a buyer is that right!?!?! I've been dying to hear if anything happened w/ your fabulous open house! I can't beleive they made you look in it-holy smokes! Next time make sure Matt is home and he can deal w/ those dirty men! :] But yeah, a digger at your house! That is boy heaven. We've been doing some major yard work the last couple of months nad have had diggers and mini-excav. in our yard and we attract all of the little boys too! Such cute photos and boys. Wow, I am so sorry for you though. You read the fumes could kill you? I would be freaked out too! :]

I'm so sorry too I haven't commented lately at all. I've been so swamped and busy. But I'm so glad to see all of your adorable and funny posts! Good luck w/ all of the house selling!

Love, Chelsea