Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thank you Sid

Get ready folks. In this season of endorsements this is me officially endorsing a television program. Sid the Science Kid to be exact. I almost wrote an ode to Sid, but then I realized that one ode is enough for any blog.

Sid the Science Kid follows this kid named Sid, ya dig? Every morning he has an experience that puzzles him (i.e. "Why can I smell my brother's stinky diaper down the hallway?"). He then goes to school and talks about it with his class. Teacher Suzy then miraculously teaches an entire lesson on the topic. With visual aids that would take time to prepare. Like weeks to prepare in some cases. But somehow...she knew to leave a pumpkin to rot in case Sid was curious about decay (which he has been). They spend some time in the lab, they play with their ideas, there's a song, and then Sid goes home with his weirdo Grandma (she really is weird) and discusses it with his parents.

My reasons for loving Sid boil down to three points. And please don't scoff until you've heard me out.

1. It makes me a better parent. No, wait, let me explain!

I notice moments when I could be showing something new to the boys (particularly Jacob at this age) rather than shooing them away. A good example is when I recently made ice. Jacob asked me "Wwwwwwwwwhat you doin'?". The, "never you mind" answer was on my lips when I felt a stroke of genius. Sid genius. I told Jacob that I was making ice, which is when you turn water into ice...blah, blah, blah. He loved it. And he loved it when I called him to the kitchen a few hours later to "investigate" how our ice was progressing. It's all about the investigating, and the comparing, and the contrasting and so forth.

They also did a show about estimating, which lead to The Great Overestimation of 2008. I gave Jacob 8 carrot sticks and asked him to estimate how many I'd given him. He poked around in the bowl and decided on 27. Hmmmm.

I also deeply love Curious George (which also focuses on math and science). But Sid doesn't sugar coat the science with stories like George does, they actually admit that, hey kids, we're going to teach you something! And it's reproduceable at home. Unlike on George when he accidentally becomes part of a flying trapeze group or goes to space (twice!). Just not as likely as finding a mushy banana and wondering why it turned so gross (the decay lesson). I'm not so much concerned about my kids becoming more scientific than the Japanese or anything, but I like the straightforward approach to it all because then Jacob can do it too. It's empowering for him.

So, yes, I love Sid because it helps me see opportunities to be a more engaging, teaching parent.

2. I also love Sid because Jacob loves it.

We really try to limit TV (our success varies day to day) but to see Jacob take positive, interesting things away from it makes me happy. Not like dumb ol' Dragon Tales. I deeply dislike those dragons.

3. Sid has finally brought Jacob around to art.

After every experiment they always draw their observations in their journal. So, one day I pulled out a notebook and wrote JACOB on it and told him it was his journal. All day he's begging to draw in it. In fact, it's pretty much out and ready to be drawn in all day long. I feel like it's a nice place for him to return to during the day. Sort of to regroup and process for a minute and then move on to something else.

This might not seem like much, but Jacob has never taken that kindly to art of any kind. I felt so disturbed by his complete dislike for it all. I mean, play-doh, finger paints, watercolors, crayons, markers -- you name it, he didn't want to do it.

He just loves it now. Sometimes Nico joins in too (although ever since the below experience mainly with Colorwonder markers). And as I type this I actually have a tear of joy in my eye. It's delightful to have a little artist in residence. Jana (mother of the artsy kidlets) has been telling me this for years and I am finally witnessing it.

So, behold my little artistic scientists. Sigh.


















































Definitely
the Colorwonder. (What rock star eye makeup.)


















So, please give Sid the Science Kid a shot. I thought it looked dumb too and see how I'm eating my words?

That is all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can one find this delightfully educational show?

Anonymous said...

I love Sid! Tyson does not. I am so sad! I think it's a great show (for many of the same reasons you listed), but Tyson asks me to change the channel everytime Sid comes on. Sniff, sniff. What is a mom to do?

Now WordGirl, and Go! Diego Go! are not to be missed in this household.

Mardee Rae said...

That sounds so much better than watching Jungle Book OVER and OVER again. And I turned to "Little Einsteins", which is great but a little over the top, i.e.: The kids are excited because the butterfly mail carrier brings them mail. June leaps into a field of flowers, and while pirouetting exclaims, "correspondence!". It does help me to finally get my classical composers straight.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Wow! You should send that on to PBS kids! Dumb, are you kidding me? Ever since I've heard the catchy tune "I'm lookin' for a friend," I've been hooked. Sid is so cool and when I was in Utah, I even tried to get my mom come watch it because it's just too cute!

Jana said...

Gideon and Maddie love Sid too. I think they must have shown an episode at school, because Maddie came home talking about it, and I am quite sure she has been in school since it started.

Gideon just saw the "decay" epsiode today actually, it was SUPER funny watching him watch the time delay shots of the pumpkin decaying right before his very eyes...I can honestly say I think he was a bit nervous. tee hee hee

nbarnes2 said...

thanks for the informative post. what station is sid on? also i actually love those pictures too. i like the angles. fun.

Catherine said...

Ha! As I read this, Madeleine is watching Sid. We're learning about growing. Thanks for showing me your blog!

Andrea said...

I have never even heard of it. I will have to search it out and give it a try. Thanks Robyn!

Katie said...

I love your blog- your boys are so cute. Hope you're having fun in Utah!