Saturday, October 04, 2008

Updates and Thank you

Thank you, thank you for letting me air my grievances and for the helpful advice. Allow me to fill you in on our progress.

1. Nicholas has pretty well learned that nobody's coming to get him before 6:00. He yelps at around 5:30 and then just goes back to sleep until 6:00 or 6:30. He finally learned nobody loves him! Far from it, but he's learned the sleep schedule. My cup runneth over. I am so grateful that we're moving toward more sleep in the mornings.

2. Jacob is now pretty much persnickety about everything. His situation is now reaching epic, dire proportions. Not really, but tonight Matt and I have been feeling pretty blue about his "ways".

I guess our long-term goal for Jacob (and all of our children) could be summed up by Virgina Pearce talking about her parents, Gordon & Marjorie Hinckley, and their parenting style. "Mother and Dad taught us that there was a difference between principles and rules. There are never enough rules to tell you what to do in every situation. But they did put a few principles in place. We felt free to make decisions because we knew the fundamental principles against which everything could be measured."

Long-term sometimes takes a long time. We're hopeful that some changes and helps on our part will create modest short-term success that will bear long-term fruit. And just a little acquiescence every once in a while!

Lastly, Grandma Jan sent me this clip of Nicholas's beautiful "Hello". Thanks Grandma.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for being tough about the morning schedule! I know it was probably really hard, so I'm happy it's paying dividends. I remember Jacob did the same before 5 a.m. thing for a little while too--was he about the same age? I know we've been counseled to be early risers, but that is just too much. :)

Poor Jacob. He really is making a lot of adjustments, isn't he? I think I would probably feel a lot the same way--wearing clothes suitable for cold weather means you've moved somewhere where there is cold weather!! Horrors! I HATE being cold! However, I know how loving you are with him, and I'm sure THAT will pay dividends in the near future as well.

That Nicholas was so happy to say, "Hello!" to Grandma Jan. What a darling, darling boy. Thanks to Grandma Jan and Robyn for sharing that adorable video.

Jana said...

What a cute Hello!

All I can say about Jacob is that at least he isn't saying "You made bad chance (meaning choice) Mommy! I gonna spank you!" any time you tell him to do anything contrary to what he has planned right?

btw-I do not spank Gideon, but he picked up the lingo somewhere!

Anonymous said...

I may have come upon a root cause for Jacob's "problem." I was over at Grandma's yesterday, and the temperature was in the 40's, but I was dressed in "summery" clothes and sandals. I said something to the effect that I should be dressed warmer, but that I just wasn't ready to part with my cool clothes. Grandma got that all knowing smile on her face, and said "Now I know where Jacob gets it...he gets it from his Grandma!" We had a good laugh. I seriously hadn't put the two to-gether. :)

Carly said...

I know this is a cliche and not very helpful, but I think this is just one baaaad phase. Holden went through the same thing: no coats, sweatpants only, no short sleeved shirts, etc. Then one day he put on a pair of jeans and things got a lot better. I remember being beside myself when Holden was that age. But it passed, and all this persnicketiness and contrariness is not who he really is. It's just what he's going through NOW. You've got YEARS before you need to start worrying about your influence over him. For now, basic survival and attention are all he needs from you.