May I introduce Phineas, Ferb and Perry as our Halloween costumes of 2012! Jacob initially said he might want to be a rock star (read: easy) and Nico said he wanted to be the Hulk (read: easier). That being said, one night Matt and I sat mulling about Halloween and our history of family themed costumes. Because we do have a bit of a history with them*. We mentioned our idea to the boys and they were hooked. And thus my life ended. Easy and easier became complex and fussy. Because really, you just can't find Ferb capris at your local Target. And a search for Phineas and Ferb costumes yields scary stuff like this. Or ridiculous stuff like this. Curse you Perry the Platypus!
Despite the added effort (like liquid stitching the fraying raw edges on Nico's sewn on stripes), this really was a fun costume. The main reason I can say that is because...it was award (at the ward party) winning!! Matt and I were Dr. Doofenshmirtz and Candace. The boys are holding our award. It's just a piece of paper, but man it was sort of the spoon full of sugar helping the medicine go down for this tired ma.
Front view.
Tail view! I think his hat is more of a fedora/cowboy hat hybrid. Mwah.
Here are the Ferb shorts hot off of the sewing machine. I'm unnecessarily proud of the notch in the front. Too bad he'll never wear them ever again. Oh, and please check out the avalanche of books, blankets and clothes in the background!
I'm unnecessarily proud of the aesthetic of this tail. Thank you Jana for all of the hand holding I needed to produce it!
And here's Nico's attempt at Isabella (he copied her from a picture). I colored her in at his request. Oh how I slave for these kids!!!
The boys and their pumpkins
Nico can't draw any human likeness without eyebrows. Typically they are angry eyebrows. Matt and I carved what they drew on their pumpkins and tried to stay true to their vision. Here things got a bit too Michael Dukakis.
Halloween candy in the suburbs is epic. Heaven help us.
Despite all of the aforementioned work it was a great Halloween. The boys loved it and I am so grateful. Here's to store bought costumes next year though! Happy Halloween!
*Here is the Halloween I never blogged about. The big boys were spider men and Benny was a radioactive spider. Unfortunately I am not at the computer that has the majority of those pictures. These will have to do.


10 comments:
love the costumes! you did such a great job!
This is Grandpa at Jana's computer. We laughed and looked at each of the hot links....Dukakis was fantastic at the special time of year. Between your themed Halloween and Jana's kids doing Harry Potter characters. The "Gamette GIRLS" rocked with creativity and sewing!!!!
I know what your gonna do today Robyn! RELAX! You did such an awesome job on those costumes! I love love love it! It was especially fun reading this post with Dad. "Why is Benny in a hat? Isn't he being a platypus?" You totally captured Phinneas and Ferb! Well Done!
Hey Robyn...this is Ma on Jana's computer. Your post gave us such a chuckle! You really worked hard on those costumes - down to the minutous detail. We loved it! Take a break today as you sneak chocolate from the kid's stash. ;)
That has got to be the best family costume ever!!! It beats our Goldlocks and the 3 bears. I think there might be a couple of little boys in Knoxville TN that are green with envy. I loved it all!!!
I am amazed! You SEWED striped on? So awesome. Phineas and Ferb rule, and so does team Hutch!
Haha, that's sewed STRIPES on, not striped. I was so flustered by the awesomeness of it all...
i cant believe it. i begged brent to let us do phineas and ferb this year using the same characters. he didn't want to. maybe you can send yours down here next year! then you're getting (i'm getting) more bang for your effort! i loved it all. you are amazing!
Such a fun post! I also have to say that you look amazing Robyn! And I miss you guys :)
Robyn, You are the best. What terrific costumes. Embarrassed to admit I didn't know these characters, but a glance at your reference and I hooted outloud. I love the sort of "Hey, I'm part of the gang" look on Ben's face. The hat is classic. Congratulations on the award. You DID a lot of detail on those costumes!
Post a Comment